Town Hall, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
The Town Hall was built in 1881 by the 11th Earl of Meath. The building was designed in a Tudor Revival Style by Thomas Deane & Son leading architects of the day. The ground floor was used as a market house, with an isle down the centre used for horse drawn carts and later trucks to deliver goods in and out of the market. At the markets everything from vegetables to livestock was sold and markets were held there once a week.
The chamber upstairs was used for official functions. Thirty stained-glass panels line the chamber and display the coat of arms of the Brabazons (The Earls of Meath), dating back from Norman times to the 19th century. The Statue at the front of the Town Hall is of a Wyvern, a mythological creature which is featured in the Brabazons coat of arms.
The market house closed in the mid 1940's, the upper floor still serves as the chambers for Bray Town Council...while McDonald’s moved in downstairs in 1997!
High quality 8 x 6" (20 x 15 cm) photographic print of an original watercolour and pen painting by Emma Doyle. The print is mounted with a 12 x 10" ( 30 x 25 cm ) ivory stock card window mount with backing card and packed in a cellophane bag.